Project For Awesome 2013 has begun!
For those of you who don’t know, Project For Awesome (P4A) is an anual event on Youtube to raise money and awareness for charities around the world. It started in 2007, when the Vlogbrothers (John and Hank Green) decided to organise a day for charity. This is what the site has to say about it:
The very first Project for Awesome was organized in 2007, and has been held annually on Dec 17 – 18 every year since. During Project for Awesome, thousands of people post videos about and advocating for charities that decrease the overall level of world suck. As a community, we promote these videos and raise money for the charities. In 2012, the community raised over $400,000 and ten charities were granted $40,500 each.
I’ve been involved in P4A for a couple of years and it’s very simple. You can be involved in several ways…
- You can simply spread the word about P4A and get more people involved.
- You can comment on P4A videos. For every comment on a P4A video, John and Hank donate a penny to the cause.
- You can make a video for a charity and upload it during Project For Awesome (17-18 December).
- You can vote for the videos of the charities you feel are most deserving of the money raised during P4A.
- You can donate on Indiegogo and get perks.
To show what P4A is all about, I thought I’d share some videos made during the past years that really caught my eye…
Some youtubers like to bring the funny:
Others pick causes that are near and dear to their hearts:
Not everybody choses a charity to Decrease Suck, some go for causes to Increase Awesome:
And some people make absolute works of art. Here are some of the videos made by emilyofnewgloom:
And that brings us to today…
I hope this post got you interested in P4A and might make you consider getting involved. Remember, you can get involved in different ways; watching videos, commenting, voting for charities, making videos,…
Have a great Project For Awesome! DFTBA!